Monday 6 February 2012

Thrift Store Find - Painted

In my last post I showed you my recent thrift store finds that I was going to give new life to.

The first one I started on was the wall plaque. I found it to dull looking, so as with a lot of my purchases, I painted it!

Wall plaque before.

Wall plaque during - I gave it a coat of gold paint. The gold I like to use is called 'Sahara Gold'. I like it because it's a warm gold instead of being too yellowy. 

 Wall plaque after - Once the gold coat was completely dry, I brushed on some dark brown paint, making sure that it got into all of the cracks and crevices, and rubbed it off of the raised bits with some dry paper towel. 

I'm pleased how this turned out. The details seem to stand out more now that it's painted.

I was going to put up a picture of it hanging on the wall, but I had a little incident. I couldn't find my level, so I decided I would 'wing it' and use my trusty eyes. It turns out I'm quite crooked and so was the plaque once I put it up. I've had to fill one of the plug/screw holes with Polyfilla and wait till it dries so I can try again tomorrow. Lessons of the day: Always use a level and don't wing it!

Hanging picture to follow once I find my level!

No comments:

Post a Comment