Sunday 5 February 2012

New Thrift Store Finds

I went out to one of my local thrift stores this afternoon, and I managed to find some great things for our house. As always, I am going to make some changes to them and will post them shortly.

Recently, I've been keeping my eyes open for a hanging pendant lamp for our front entrance. The one that we have right now is a standard builders light (not really anyone's style). I knew I couldn't afford most of the new  lights in the stores, as they seem to run between $70 and $100 for ones that are not even that fancy. I kept checking out the lighting area in the local thrift stores, and I finally found one! It needs some work, but I think it's pretty nice.


 I paid $9.99 for this. I'm not too sure if I'm going to keep the glass droplets or not yet, but if not I'll keep them for future projects. I think it'll be pretty easy to fix it up. The only problem is, I don't know if it works or not! If it doesn't, I guess I'll have to learn how to re-wire a light.

 I then found this floral wall plaque. Not much needs to be done to this, but I'm pretty sure I'll end up painting it whether it's necessary or not.

As the sticker says, I paid $6.99 for it. It's pretty heavy, so it's great that it has two spots for picture hangers or some trusty screws.

 This is the lamp that I found. The middle section of the base is made of amber coloured crackle glass. I really like the shape of the shade, but sadly, it's in really bad condition and has stains all over it. I might use the wire frame from the lampshade to make something new, or I may end up finding a totally different one.


 It has great ornate details and has lots of character. I plan on painting it a different colour, as I find that the gold it is now is a bit too yellow.



These next pieces are from around a month ago and have already been re-done. Again they were from a thrift store. 

They are wrought iron wall sconce candle holders.  They were sold separately at $2.99 each. When I bought them they were a strange toffee colour. I painted them  a deep red, and then dry brushed a dark brown paint on top to give them an 'antiqued' look. I bought the round candles at Walmart. They came in a pack of two for $2.50.



They're currently hanging in our front entrance. 

I can't wait to get started on these. Pictures to follow! Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment