Thursday 23 February 2012

Moorcroft Pottery

A few years ago my husband's great Aunt gifted us a little ceramic vase while we were visiting her in England. She didn't tell us much about it other than the fact that it was quite old and was made by a company called Moorcroft. 

Moorcroft vase (far left)

When I got home, I looked on the internet for more information. I found out that Moorcroft pottery started being produced in 1897 in England and continues to be made today and is very collectable. I also found out that the best way to date a Moorcroft piece was to look at the markings on the bottom. 

The mark on the bottom of the vase meant that it was made sometime between 1928 and 1949. I still haven't been able to find a vase with the exact same pattern on it, so I don't know it's exact age. 

A while back I was in a newly opened Value Village looking through the housewares shelves. I came upon something that immediately caught my eye. I picked it up as quickly as I could as if hundreds of other people were trying to get it (no one was interested). I knew the style right away and flipped it over. It was also a Moorcroft piece as I suspected. I was super excited and showed my Mom. She didn't know about Moorcroft at the time and she didn't seem to share my enthusiasm.

Face of the Moorcroft Hibiscus bowl. (Also shown in the picture above on the far right)

It's hard to see the Moorcroft and Made in England stamps on this one, but this marking indicates that the bowl was made somewhere between 1950 and 1986.

I looked this one up on the internet and it was a bit easier to find information about it and the exact same bowls for sale. They seem to be going for between $110 and $210 in Canada and America. I was even more pleased with my purchase, seeing as I paid a whole $1.99 for it. Quite a good little purchase!

I never intended to collect Moorcroft pottery, and I could never afford it at full price, but I really like the stories behind the two pieces I have. I always keep an eye out for more Moorcroft pieces when I'm looking on thrift store shelves. I'm sure it was just a fluke that I happened upon this one, but who knows!

No comments:

Post a Comment