Sunday 11 March 2012

I'm going to plant my very first garden this year.

I've always loved plants and growing things, but we've never lived in a place where we could grow a garden until now. In England our first place was on the fourth floor and therefore had no garden or balcony and our place after had a little back area, but it was completely made of concrete. When we moved back to Canada, we were living in a rented townhouse and had a yard, but we couldn't dig it up, as it wasn't ours. I've grown some herbs from seed and I also had a cherry tomato plant out back in a pot at our last place, but nothing major.

I'm trying to think up ideas for a garden. I'm really liking the look of raised garden beds and think that's something that I could do here, but we'll see how adventurous I'm feeling when the ground thaws.

I've started to grow a few things from seed that specifically said to start the plants inside early. A lot of plants can be planted right into the ground, but others seem to need a 6-8 week head start.




I started by planting the 3 seeds above. I plan on drying some of the chili flakes and using the rest for hot pepper jelly. I thought the tomatoes looked really nice a colourful. Nothing beets a tomato fresh off the plant. I love the smell. I also decided to get these flowers. They're  supposed to stay in flower until the frost in the fall, so they'll keep everything looking nice and cheery. 

I planted everything in coffee cups that I cut down a little. I planted the seeds at the suggested depths on the backs of the packages, and covered the cups loosely with plastic wrap. 

I'll have to wait between 7 and 14 days to see any growth. Hopefully it's worth the wait.

Fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment