Thursday 1 March 2012

New Thrift Store Finds

Last Sunday my Mom and I went to our local Value Village. We were lured in by a sale they had on. All of their clothing, accessories and footwear were on sale for 50% off. How could you resist. The official sale started on my Birthday, but if you were a card member you got to shop a day early. Knowing that it would be busy, we went for when the store opened at 10. We made it there about 5 minutes before it opened and there were around 30 other people waiting to get in. Thankfully we only had to wait 5 minutes, because it was absolutely freezing outside (about minus 10 before the wind chill).

When we got in we started looking through aisles and aisles of clothing. It was amazing how many nice things there were. A lot of the items I picked out were brand new (some with tags still on, others that were just visibly unworn). I'm not a brand whore or anything, but I know that some of the brands do offer better quality than others and I was finding some great stuff from some pretty decent stores. I found tops from Gap, Zara and Smart Set to name a few. Some of these tops would have been at least $30 to start and they were on sale for between $1.50 and $4.

I ended up bringing home 6 tops, 2 cardigans, 1 pair of pants, an infinity scarf, a hat for my niece and some stuff for the house for $57 including taxes.

If anyone reading this is not too sure about shopping for clothing at thrift stores, please give it a chance. Yes, there are some pretty weird and sometimes ugly things hanging on the racks, but within those things are some real gems. It's worth a look. I always just bring everything home and give them a good wash with lots of laundry detergent and voila! Ready to wear.

As I said previously I got some stuff for the house. I had a coupon for 25% off everything in the household section, which was great. As with the clothing you sometimes have to sift through some pretty crazy stuff, but it's just a matter of keeping your eyes peeled.

I picked up this little lamp for $5.25. The middle is glass and the base is wrought iron. It's got the see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil monkeys around the base. Very cute and quirky!

Hear no evil.

See no evil.

Large solid brass platter with etched and painted floral design. This was a little more pricey at $15, but I couldn't leave it.

 Platter Detail

Platter detail

My Mom also found some great deals. We ended up staying there until 12:30 because I had to leave for Lola's puppy school. If it weren't for that, we probably could have spent a lot longer looking for bargains.

No comments:

Post a Comment