Thursday 12 January 2012

Another Curbside Find

A while back my Mom gave me a stool that she had found at the curb on garbage day. It was still sturdy, but the  fabric on the seat was a bit worn and dated.

I measured the width of the seat and added about 6 inches just to be safe. I then went to Fabricland to look for an upholstery fabric that would work. The fabric I chose was in the clearance section, so I think it ended up costing me around $6.

The seat padding was still in good condition and the seat fabric was clean, so I left them both on to make this project even faster. If either were not in good condition, I would suggest taking them off and starting from the bare bones.

All I needed to do was cut a piece of the fabric the same size as the seat cushion (adding a few inches to wrap around), pop the seat out (it wasn't secured down with anything), staple the fabric down tightly and put the seat back on.

I don't have any during pictures, so if I do a project like this again I'll make an effort to get some.

This is the recovered stool.


The legs are wood. I haven't decided whether I'm going to paint them or not. They are somewhat scratched, but I kind of like the way they look. I think this is another great find. At least we were able to save it before it ended up in a landfill.

No comments:

Post a Comment