Sunday 29 January 2012

Before and After - Main Bathroom

I've been busy doing little projects around the house to put the finishing touches on some of the rooms. I finally got around to finishing up the bathroom.

Here are some before and after pictures:

Main Bath Before (showing mirror damage near the tap)

 If I was in charge of naming this colour for the paint company, I would have probably called it 'salmon rose'. Not really my cup of tea.

Main Bath before. 

 Main Bath After - Framed mirror, fresh paint, new chrome toilet paper holder and coordinating soap pump.

 Main Bath After - New bathmat and waterproof fabric shower curtain.

 Main Bath After

Main Bath After - Poppy paintings that we previously had up in our old living room, new chrome towel rack and coordinating towels.

The final thing to do in there was to frame the bathroom mirror. It's not very visible in the before pictures, but there was some damage at the bottom of the mirror. It ran about 12 inches  either side of the tap and went up about 2 inches. I think it was just water damage, but I really didn't like it. I though about replacing the whole mirror, but when I started looking at mirrors that were big enough, I realized that they were way too expensive (around $200+)

I went to Rona (DIY store) and picked up two 8 foot pieces of MDF moulding. They have a cutting area there, so I brought the measurements of my mirror to them and got the guys in the store to cut the pieces to the right length at 45 degree angles to make the frame. It was so much easier than trying to cut them myself and making a mess (and possibly a mistake).

The moulding came primed, so I just painted it with some soft gold acrylic paint before I put it up.

Once the paint was dry, I applied LePage 'No More Nails' to the back of the pieces and put them up one by one.

This project was super easy, and I think it makes a big difference. The total cost for this project was under $15. Much better than buying a whole new mirror!

No comments:

Post a Comment