Sunday 22 January 2012

Another Thrift Store Treasure

Ever since I can remember, my Mom has loved a bargain and loved going to thrift stores. I used to go a lot too, but I kind of got out of the habit when I lived in the UK. Since moving into the new house I've definitely begun to love them again. A new Value Village opened up in the summer and it always has really interesting things in it.

On a recent visit, we found a candelabra. It was really tarnished and dirty, but it looked like it had some potential. First off, it definitely looked like it was real silver (or at least silver plated).  It also weighed a tonne. I thought this  would be a plus just in case I was home alone one night and had an intruder (who needs an ugly baseball bat hanging around when you have a trust candelabra?) It was for sale for $9.99. The original price tag was still on the bottom and read $149. We found a bargain! My Mom said she wanted to buy it for me as a housewarming present. She also said that she'd clean it, which was great.

Have you ever wondered how to clean silver? Well if so, apparently this method works quite well.

Step 1 - line the bottom of your kitchen sink with aluminium foil

Step 2 - fill the sink with warm water

Step 3 - add the silver that you wish to polish

Step 4 - sprinkle liberal amounts of baking soda (bicarbonate of soda for all my British friends)

Step 5 - wait

Apparently this shines up your silverware like you wouldn't believe!  There is no scrubbing needed. I wasn't with my Mom to witness the magic, but the proof is in the pudding!

This is the shiny end result.

I found the deep red candles for 3 for a dollar at a local dollar store, so I have one extra just in case. I think it looks pretty impressive for something that only cost $12 in total and a bit of baking soda.

No comments:

Post a Comment