Tuesday 10 January 2012

Our New Chandelier

When we bought our house, there was a big hole with electrical wires sticking out where the previous dining room chandelier hung. I'm sure that the previous owners are definitely not supposed to take light fixtures, but I didn't complain, because it wasn't my style anyways. It also meant that I didn't have to live with a chandelier that I didn't like and that I could find one that I liked right away.

This was the real estate photo that shows the old chandelier.

I went on another search to find what I wanted. I knew I wanted something quite modern, but not too out there, as I didn't want it to date too quickly.

I started out looking for ideas like I normally do online. I have to say that most of the chandeliers I say were way too ornate and fancy.

The first one I saw that I liked was at Canadian Tire for $188 (seen below)

It looked really nice online, but when I got to the store, it seemed a lot smaller and underwhelming.

While I was there, I noticed one that I liked a lot more. It was modern, but not too modern and had nice simple clean lines.

It was the exact same price, but looked much better in person.

I went home without it that day, because I saw an ad in their flyer that some of their lighting was going on sale for 50% off starting the next day. I thought I'd wait and hope for the best. Sure enough the next day it was on sale and I bought the last one.

We had never done any electrical installations before, so I asked my Dad to come over to help. Both of my parents came over, and my Mom actually ended up installing the light. My Dad isn't very fond of heights, so he volunteered my Mom for the job. The first thing we did was shut the power off to the fixture **very important** and after a few false starts, my Mom did it! She had never done this before, but my Dad guided her through it from the bottom of the ladder.

This is the final product.

I'll add a more zoomed out picture once the dining room has been completed.

We're really satisfied with how it looks. Another plus is my Mom can now add electrician to the many hats she already wears.

No comments:

Post a Comment